Monte Palace Museum
Located in the Monte Palace Tropical Garden, the museum houses two permanent collections, one of minerals and another of contemporary sculpture from Zimbabwe.
This hotel was visited by important national and foreign citizens who appreciated and enjoyed this lovely resort with its breath taking views of Funchal and the natural landscape that surrounded it. In 1943, Alfredo Guilherme Rodrigues passed away. Unfortunately, his family did not pursue his project, which led to the closure of the hotel and its passing into the hands of the financial institution "Caixa Económica do Funchal".
In 1987, the financial institution sold the property to the businessman José Manuel Rodrigues Berardo, who in return, donated it to the foundation which is named after him. Thus was born the Monte Palace Tropical Garden. Since then, the Tropical Garden has been enriched with native exotic plants from various countries (Cycads and Proteas from South Africa, azaleas from Belgium, heather from Scotland, etc.), as well as native plants from the Madeira Laurisilva forest (ferns, cedars, laurels, etc.). The ponds were also enriched with the introduction of Koi fish, presenting visitors with a splendid variety of colours
Tours of the garden are enriched with ostentatious stone ornamentation, windows, niches, pagodas, Buddhas, lanterns and sculptures from different parts of the world, cultures and eras. There is also a collection of tiles (15th to 20th centuries), a panel composed of 166 glazed terracotta tiles, entitled "The Adventure of the Portuguese in Japan" and a group of 40 panels depicting the History of Portugal, including the most important events in the Kingdoms and Republics.