"BAILINHO DA MADEIRA" ELECTED ONE OF THE "7 WONDERS OF POPULAR CULTURE"
"Bailinho da Madeira", candidate in the category "Music and Dances" by the municipality of Calheta, was elected one of the "7 Wonders of Popular Culture".
The announcement was made by the fado singer Cuca Roseta during the final gala held in Bragança, on September 5th, presented by Catarina Furtado and José Carlos Malato and broadcast live to the whole country and the world on the RTP 1 channel.
The "Bailinho da Madeira" was the only candidate from the Autonomous Region of Madeira to reach the final, after having disputed the place with "Fachos" of Machico.
The award was received by Carlos Teles, Mayor of the Municipality of Calheta.
These are the big winners of the "7 Wonders of Popular Culture":
• "Bailinho da Madeira"
• "Colete Encarnado" / Red Waistcoat (Vila Franca de Xira)
• Crypto-Judaism of Belmonte (Castelo Branco)
• Feast in Honour of Our Lady of Remedies (Lamego)
• Pilgrimage of Saint Bartholomew (Ponte da Barca)
• Pilgrimage of Saint John D'Arga (Caminha)
• "Santeiros de São Mamede do Coronado" (Trofa)