Christopher Columbus House Museum
Portraits, maps and pieces of the Dutch galleon “Sloot Tue Hooge” are some of the historical elements that can be enjoyed in the house-museum of the navigator Christopher Columbus.
The Christopher Columbus House Museum is placed in Porto Santo on an articulated set of buildings, now standardized after work undertaken around the 18th and 19th centuries. Christopher Columbus lived here during his stay in Porto Santo, after his marriage to Filipa Moniz, daughter of the first Captain-donee of Porto Santo, Bartolomeu Perestrelo.
The northern facade of this building featuring two windows of Gothic profile is the sole element dated from of the beginning of the 16th century is which has endured after the numerous construction works.
Opened to the public in 1989 this building has undergone several works to adjust and organize its collections. Divided into two floors, the ground floor encloses a shop and a temporary exhibition room, depicting subjects associated to the Portuguese maritime expansion.
The first floor is organized into three themed exhibition rooms.
The first is dedicated to the Portuguese Expansion presenting the strategic position of Porto Santo Island and also of the archipelago of Madeira in the context of the Portuguese maritime expansion.
The second room displays elements related to the importance of the Spanish crown in overseas expansion and its role as main sponsor of Christopher Columbus’ expedition in 1492. This cultural venue presents a short biography of the explorer life and his family connections to Porto Santo, as well as some references to his voyages to the American continent.
The third and fourth exhibition rooms are dedicated to the Dutch colonial empire depicted on some objects removed from the “Slot ter Hooge” galleon property of the Dutch East Indies Company, shipwrecked in 1724 near the northern coast of Porto Santo Island.