Notice to walkers and List of Walks
First and foremost, walking on Madeira and the adjacent island of Porto Santo is invigorating, exciting and hugely rewarding.
List of Recommended Walking Routes
Learn more about the footpaths officially recommended by the Regional Government of Madeira, classifyed as small routes (PR) and identified by a sequential number.
Currently the List of Recommended Walking Routes includes 28 hiking trails, located in Madeira island of and two others are located in Porto Santo island, as displayed below:
Code of conduct and Safety Regulations
Here we shall mention some codes of conduct and safety regulations that should always be followed. Please read the information below!
- Avoid noise or actions against nature
- Do not take plants or animals with you
- Do not throw rubbish away (tissues do not easily decompose)
- Do not light fires
- If you are a smoker do not throw cigarettes ends on the floor, keep them for the dust-bin
- Do not change or damage the signs
For your own safety
- Before starting out make sure you have update instructions on the route
- Let someone else know where you’re going and when you expect to return
- Be sure to confirm the time it will take so that you can finish before nightfall
- Take some extra food and water with you
- Wear suitable clothes and shoes
- If possible take a mobile phone with you
- In case of heavy rain or strong winds do not go on and/or turn back using the same route
- Don’t take risks
Emergency number: 112
Civil Protection: (+351) 291 700 112